Detroit, MI. Sgt. Shot by carjacker, 21 year old suspect in custody

Detroit police have arrested a 21-year-old suspect after an officer was shot Monday night at a gas station on the city’s east side. 

A sergeant from the Detroit Police Department’s 9th precinct was pursuing a shooting suspect when the shots were fired at the Sunoco gas station at 7 Mile Road and Hayes Street. The suspect was armed with a sawed-off shotgun.

The officer was pursuing a shooting suspect when the shots were fired. The officer was shot in the shoulder during the foot pursuit.

“The sergeant approached on foot and the suspect took off running behind the Sunoco station at East Seven Mile and Hayes,” Habron said. “The suspect fired a round from a sawed-off shotgun, striking the sergeant in the shoulder according to Detroit Police spokeswoman Kenyetta Habron. “The suspect attempted to hop a fence, but he was tackled by backup officers,” Habron said. The shotgun was also recovered.

The Sgt. identified as Ken Steil, who is a 17- year veteran of the department was taken to Saint John Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. He is underwent surgery and is expected to be okay.

“Detroit police officers run toward the danger,” Detroit Police Chief James Craig said. Chief Craig added this incident is in connection to shooting that happened Sunday when a father was shot by his son on Dickerson Avenue.

“Anytime a police officer receives a gunshot wound, and he did, it’s serious,” Craig told reporters. “We cannot have people believing it’s OK to shoot at police officers.”

The man’s 21-year-old son is diagnosed with depression and allegedly went into the home while his mother and father were eating dinner.

Police said the man went upstairs and came down with a shotgun, then shot his 62-year-old father in the foot.

The parents were able to escape the home while their son was trying to reload, police said.

The 21 year old was taken into custody without any officers firing at him.  “At some point, the suspect did drop the weapon and was taken into custody,” According to Sgt. Michael Woody.

Detroit police had been seeking the man since Sunday night, when Woody said he “began a crime spree” that included carjacking multiple people and weapons offenses.

“We had been looking for him all throughout the day and night when we had received some information that he was at a location on the east side,” Woody said. “Officers including the sergeant went over there to investigate and apprehend. When they arrived on scene, he saw them. He fled on foot, and a brief foot pursuit ensued.”



Leave a Reply