Suspect who shot Freemont Officers barricaded in home

After a massive manhunt by a hundred officers in connection with two Freemont officers who were shot a suspect has barricaded himself in a home. Officers are negotiating with him to surrender.

An officer from the Freemont Police Department who had about a year on the job was shot after a traffic stop. 

The incident started when an officer with a year’s service with the department stopped a white pickup truck in Fremont, which is about 40 miles south of San Francisco, police spokeswoman Geneva Bosques said.

The pickup truck backed up into the officer’s patrol car, a person in the truck fired shots that injured the officer and the shooter and another suspect fled on foot.

Shortly there after a Detective with about 10 years of service who was searching for the subject ho shot the rookie officer was shot by the suspect as well. A man hunt by about a hundred officers from multiple agencies ensued in what was to be a house to house search for the gunman.

The search lasted well into the night when the gunman was located and took refuge in an unoccupied house where he barricaded himself inside. Officers from the Oakland police SWAT team have taking over duties on the scene for the Alameda County sheriff’s office, who have been out on the scene since 1:30 Wednesday afternoon when the incident began. Tear gas was fired into the home around 2:15 a.m. The suspect was able to resist coming out.

Police say they have made contact with the man.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Department says the man didn’t have “extraordinary” demands but indicated he was “in it for the long haul.”

The suspect is believed to still be alive and inside the house. Authorities are planning to deploy robots to locate him, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department.

While there was at least one other person with the gunman when the violence erupted, Officers believe only one person was responsible for the shooting of the officers. “This is obviously a very dangerous individual. He has already showed a propensity for violence and a willingness to hurt two police officers,” a Police spokesman stated.

Neither officer who was injured has yet been identified by name. The officer who had a year on the job has been listed as in critical condition after surgery and the officer who had 10 years on the job has been listed as being in stable condition.

The suspect is known to local authorities and his parents are at the scene.

The residence did catch fire and the Fire Department has been n the scene dousing the house with water to keep the fire under control since that time.

Police say they haven’t heard from the suspect since about 3:30 a.m. when his phone died.

They plan on deploying a robot into the residence shortly to determine the status of the suspect since further communication attempts have failed and he is unwilling to surrender.




Leave a Reply