Two FBI agents shot while serving warrant near Chicago

Two FBI agents were shot and injured while serving a warrant Tuesday morning outside Chicago, and the suspected shooter was later found dead inside the home, according to authorities.

The agents suffered wounds that were not considered life-threatening, FBI spokesman Garrett Croon said. They were serving an arrest warrant in Park Forest, Ill., a small village about 35 miles away from downtown Chicago.

Both agents were treated at local hospitals and released, Croon said Tuesday afternoon.

The agents were attempting to arrest Melvin Toran, a high-ranking member of the Black P-Stone Nation street gang who was set to be charged in federal court with distributing heroin.

Toran, 50, was found dead in the home, according to Croon, who did not know if he died during an exchange of gunfire.

Few details were being released Tuesday about how the shooting unfolded, including where or how the agents were wounded or whether Toran was shot by the agents or killed himself. FBI investigators from Washington were still processing the scene Tuesday night, Croon said.

Toran’s cause of death was pending an autopsy, a spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Toran was caught up in a two-year investigation, conducted by the FBI and Chicago Police Department, into several leaders of the street gang who now face drug or gun charges for their alleged roles in selling narcotics and firearms on the South Side, according to a statement released Tuesday by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Court records show Toran was convicted of murder in 1984 and sentenced to 20 years in prison. He also has been convicted of drug trafficking and illegal possession of firearms, the latter of which earned him a seven-year prison sentence in 2008, court records show.

Several gang leaders were arrested Tuesday as part of the probe. Evidence against them includes wiretapped cellular phone conversations, cooperating witnesses, controlled purchases of drugs and guns and extensive surveillance, according to the statement.

“In the summer of 2015, a cooperating source – working at the direction of investigators – purchased more than 1,000 grams of heroin from the store owner for $72,720,” the statement said.

Leave a Reply