Columbus SWAT Officer has passed away from an incident on April 9 while attempting to take a subject into custody

It is with deepest regrets that we inform you that Officer Steven Smith Passed away from injuries he sustained while attempting to arrest a subject on April 9, 2016 following a standoff with an armed gunman.

It has been confirmed by the Columbus Division of Police in an official statement that read: 

It is with a heavy heart that the Columbus Division of Police reports the passing of our dearly beloved brother, Officer Steven M. Smith #1386. Officer Smith passed away on April 12, 2016 at 4:56 PM surrounded by his loving family. He leaves behind his wife of 32 years, Lisa Smith, and two adult children, son Jesse and daughter Brittany.

The 27-year-veteran held positions in the Patrol Bureau, Strategic Response Bureau, Helicopter Unit, Narcotics Bureau, S.W.A.T. Unit and was a member of the Dive Team.

Officer Smith is the 54th Columbus police officer killed in the line of duty since 1816. He is the 31st officer killed in the line of duty in the United States in 2016.

Officer Smith’s legacy will live on through organ donation. His donation could save up to eight lives. He was 54 years old.


The original statement issued was :

OFFICER CRITICALLY INJURED: (news release 11:50am) A veteran Columbus police officer was wounded and is in critical condition following a standoff with an armed gunman on the city’s north side. On April 9, 2016 at approximately 11:34pm SWAT officers attempted to serve a felony arrest warrant on Lincoln Rutledge (M/W/44) at his apartment located at 14 W. California Ave. SWAT members served the warrant due to Mr. Rutledge’s recent erratic behavior and access to weapons. SWAT members approached the apartment and were fired upon as the suspect shot multiple times through a first-floor window. One officer, positioned in an armored vehicle, was struck and critically injured. He was transported to the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in critical condition.

Lincoln Rutledge remained barricaded in the apartment and kept officers at bay for hours despite efforts to have him surrender. At one point flames and smoke were seen coming from inside the structure. Columbus fire personnel were at the scene but couldn’t extinguish the flames due to safety concerns of additional gunfire.

Lincoln Rutledge was eventually taken into custody at approximately 7:15am. He was transported to Riverside Methodist Hospital in non-life-threatening condition with what appeared to be a bullet wound and smoke inhalation. Rutledge is in custody on an aggravated arson warrant in addition to being charged with attempted murder. Additional charges are pending further investigation.

See also: WBL “UPDATE Columbus, OH. police officer shot, suspect in custody

Leave a Reply