Berkeley County, S.C. Sheriff’s Office Deputy Shot 1 suspect found dead, another being sought

On February 26, 2016 the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office made the announcement that a Deputy had been shot while on Patrol. Law enforcement agencies confirm an armed standoff with one of the suspects has ended but that one suspect was still being sought. 

The official announcement from Berkeley County Sheriff was as follows:

At 0025 hours this morning, a deputy with the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office was on patrol along the businesses on Redbank Road in the unincorporated area of Goose Creek. While patrolling, the deputy calls out with a suspicious vehicle that was behind the closed grocery store. The vehicle was occupied two times.

The deputy advised at 0038 hours that a person was in custody. Shortly thereafter the deputy called out that they were in a fight. The radio then lost contact with the deputy. At some point a citizen assisted the deputy and authorities were called.

The deputy, who was wearing body armor, was shot multiple times. The specifics as to the number and locations of the shots is not being released at this time.

The vehicle the deputy was out with was registered to an address in North Charleston. NCPD officers located the vehicle at the registered address. The NCPD and SLED are on that fluid scene.

SLED was called in to handle the investigation as is standard procedure for shootings involving a law enforcement officer.

The deputy has been with the Sheriff’s Office for approximately 2.5 years with 1 year on patrol.

The deputy was taken to Trident Hospital for surgery where they were reported to be in stable condition.

More information will be released once it is available. We ask that you keep the deputy and all law enforcement in your thoughts and prayers.


 Berkeley County sheriff's deputy
Berkeley County Sheriff

Note: Following the incident, the North Charleston Police Department tracked the suspect to an address on Bexley Street in North Charleston. It has been reported that the suspect ended the police standoff by fatally shooting himself. Chief Deputy Mike Cochran announced around 8:30 a.m. police were looking for a second suspect.

Leave a Reply