December 2, 2015 – Sioux Falls, S.D. On Saturday morning Michael Holloway the father of 4 children who is married to Marchelle was cooking breakfast when strange things started happening to his family. His daughter first stated “she couldn’t feel her legs,” Holloway said. “I went to check on the rest of the kids and when I got upstairs, I heard my other son gasping. I ran in there and found him face down.
Holloway picked up his son and got him outside before running across the street and recruiting his neighbor to help get the rest of his family out, while Holloway’s wife Marchelle called 911.
“I really didn’t know what was going on,” Marchelle said. “I jumped up because I was in bed and I fell straight to the ground. All I can remember is grabbing the phone and I remember telling them my address, but I don’t remember anything after that.” He was quoted as saying in the Argus Leader.
The 911 call center dispatched Officer Ryan Chase to the scene and he suspected natural gas as being the problem as he had never encountered carbon monoxide poisoning in his 17 years in Law Enforcement before.
As Officer Ryan Chase entered the residence to help get family members outside he was also stricken with the effects of the poisonous gas. Risking his own life in the process, Chase helped to rescue Michael, Marchelle and their four children — 15-year-old Xaiveor, 13-year-old Zavion, 11-year-old Dymond and 10-year-old Mystik.
“We have an officer who’s gone above and beyond the call of duty,” Sioux Falls police chief Matt Burns said. “He took it upon himself … to enter the residence multiple times to bring that family to safety.”
Mrs. Holloway says her family wouldn’t be here if not for Officer Chase. She says him showing up so quickly was itself a “miracle. According to Kelo.com
“I suspected natural gas, initially,” Officer Chase said. “(After only) the first couple of breaths … I felt light-headed and my skin felt tingly.”