On November 5, 2015 Officer Jeff Redcross was checking a 911 report of a house fire at about 10:30 P.M. upon his arrival the house was full of smoke and he immediately ran to get inside to check for persons inside who may not have gotten out. Luckily he arrived when he did because he found a 68 year old woman who had a cell phone clutched in her hand who had been overcome with smoke inhalation.
Officer Redcross had found the residencefull of smoke and entered it although he could see little from the amount of smoke filling the house. As he made his way to the front of the house he found the 68 year old woman near the doorway where she had collapsed.
Redcross quickly brought her away from the danger zone of the residence and began CPR in her and firemen who arrived assisted him as well. She was becoming unresponsive so the firemen used an automated external defibrillator to “shock” the victim twice.
She was taken to Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital where she was listed in critical but stable condition.
Police said had it not been for Redcross’ quick response and immediate action to begin CPR, the woman would likely have died. They found out she called 911 to report the fire and lost consciousness trying to escape.
Police told WAFF “had it not been for Redcross’ quick response and immediate action to begin CPR, the woman would likely have died.” They also said that this was not the first time that Redcross had saved a life he had been involved in a similar situation in 1996.